Let's Hear it for the Mom Tattoos: Stretch Marks!

If you've ever given birth, there's a decent chance you now have stretch marks. There's also a decent chance you're not thrilled about this. But I'm here to say we need to try to think a new way about our stretch marks. I have so many stretch marks. My babies were large — my son weighed 10 pounds even! Ouch! 

For many years, I was too upset about my stretch marks to show them to anyone. I felt embarrassed by them and always wore a one-piece bathing suit. The thought of any man but my husband seeing them was terrifying to me! Part of what made me so embarrassed was the way he spoke about my stretch marks. When he decided he wanted a divorce, he told me my stretch marks looked so bad that if I were dead on the side of the road, a vulture wouldn't touch my stomach. He had a few other choice things to say about my stretch marks, too. 

In time, I dated plenty of other men who didn't have a problem with my stretch marks. They knew I was a mom and they knew that lots of moms have stretch marks. It was normal and nothing they hadn't seen before. In time, I relaxed and learned to see them as "mom tattoos."

People often get a body modification, like a tattoo, to mark a significant experience. Soldiers often get a tat commemorating their service. Some people get tats having to do with their careers or hobbies. Well, I have mom tats that commemorate and celebrate the times I made — with very minimal help from their dad — actual human beings. That's an achievement, my fellow moms. We made humans. Pretty awesome, huh? 

So, what do stretch marks have to do with romance novels?

I am working on a new series of romance novels. It will still be set in the mythical town of Fairview, just like the Small-Town Secrets, but these books will all center on couples who first face a surprise pregnancy and then have to decide whether they want to have a relationship. You may know these as secret baby or accidental pregnancy tropes.

I'm excited about this series, which will allow me to indulge my enthusiasm about pregnancy, babies, birth and breastfeeding! If you have read Kiss and Tell, you may remember the epic surprise birth scene. If you read Perfect Fit, you know that Julie is a doula training to become a midwife. Well, in this series, Julie is a full-fledged midwife and she's ready to deliver some babies! Get ready for a baby boom in Fairview. 

I'm calling the new series Babies and Brides. Haley's wedding planner business is about to take off. The first book is Claiming Haley. If you read Crazy Little Thing, you may remember Haley working at The Clipper. Well, she helps plan a wedding for Hazel and Dee in Laws of Attraction, and in Claiming Haley you're going to find out she has an unplanned encounter with a gorgeous guy she's been drooling over for weeks ... and guess what happens next? Bring on the accidental pregnancy and fake relationship tropes! 

I'm not going to sugarcoat the pregnancies in these books. These aren't crazy fantasy love stories; they're very much like real life. They're realistic. Haley has to deal with morning sickness and stretch marks and all the rest of the things most of us who have given birth have dealt with. But she's also going to have a Happily Ever After ending — and that is realistic as well! 

That ex of mine who delighted in telling me nobody would ever want me again? Ha, I just celebrated 15 years of marriage with the most amazing man EVER. He loves me, stretch marks and all. Love is real. Happily Ever Afters are real. Good men are real. Good sex is real. I hope you'll enjoy the new series. At this point, I'm waiting for my very busy cover designer to have time to finish the cover. When she does, I'll make an announcement! I can't wait to introduce these new books to you. 

Love, Sophia 

P.S.: If you haven't joined my mailing list, please do! Here is the link: http://eepurl.com/hcE4nb
I'll send you a free copy of Happily Ever After All just for joining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have You Ever Faked It?

Beagles and books!

Better Than the Real World